“You look cool, you are going to be the coolest person at the funeral today” said my wonderful boyfriend as he eyed my all black outfit. Despite his sarcasm, I still took it as a compliment. I know many people, including Queen of fashion, Anna Wintour, may not approve of all black, but I must respectfully say too bad. Some common complaints: it’s boring, it looks like you are in mourning, you look like a goth, etc. But if designers like Anna Sui or Rei Kawakubo’s can adopt it as their everyday style, then to me head-to-toe-black is cool-as-shit.
So here are 10 reasons why I would choose black if I could only wear one colour for the rest of my life (I know it’s a technically not a colour, it’s a shade, skip past it):
1. For a tomboy it’s a huge staple, you’ll never feel like a girly girl in all black.
2. It hides most stains pretty easily.
3. Easy to match, so your outfits always look put together.
4. It can be dressed up or down and suits every occasion.
5. Don’t have to wash black clothes as often.
6. It looks good with a tan and without.
7. It’s slimming.
8. It’s seasonless.
9. It’s classic, never goes out of style.
10. However specific the item you are looking for you will probably find it in black. Good luck finding it in lilac.
– Dress like a man, act like a woman – KL