Five Reasons to Start Your Day with Fruit
Thanksgiving has come and gone. Since I’ve given up meat, my holiday gorges don’t have the same lasting effect that they used to. While I hope everyone had a turkey-free dinner, I know that regardless of the main dish your weekend probably consisted of too much food, too much sitting (but we had cheer on the Jays) and not enough exercise. I don’t know about you but I’m ready to get back on track and I’m not wasting any time.
What I eat for breakfast sets the tone for the rest of the day. If I start the day with shit, I feel shit and I’m more likely to eat more shit. If I start the day right, I’m more likely to keep making the right decisions (food and otherwise). For me, the right breakfast is fruit. With the weather changing, fruit may not be the first thing you think of in the morning but it doesn’t matter if you choose to down a giant smoothie, eat an apple while your bread is toasting or just add some berries to your oatmeal, it should always be part of your morning routine.
Here are five reasons why:
- Fruit kick starts your digestive system in the morning. Fruit is full of water and fibre so it’s easy to digest. It helps your cells release toxins and flushes out your digestive tract.
- It helps rehydrate you. Again, fruit is anywhere between 60-95% water. After a nights sleep, your body needs to rehydrate. Eating fruit is a great way to get the moisture back into your body.
- You can get vitamins and anti-oxidants. Forget taking a multi-vitamin first thing in the morning and get them the natural way, through fruit.
- It will fill you up without weighing you down. I know most people complain about not being hungry in the morning or not having time. Fruit is the perfect solution to both. It takes little to no prep, you can eat it on the go. The fibre will help you feel full but even if you over-eat it won’t leave you with the lethargic, bloated feeling that eating bacon and eggs or a stack of pancakes will.
- It gives you the right energy to start your day. We’ve all heard that fruit contains sugar and sugar is bad for us so don’t eat too much fruit right? Wrong! Fruits natural glucose is nothing like the white sugar added to jams, pancakes, bread, cereals, granola bars and other typical breakfast foods. Every cell in your body runs on glucose. It’s the best energy for your body (even better than that cup of joe you think you need). While your body can use the glucose from the fruit the fibre content helps regulate your sugar levels so you never get that huge spike in energy (or that crash) that you get when you eat white sugar. And since your body can digest fruit so easily (fibre, fibre, fibre) the energy that would have been wasted trying to digest fattier foods (like bacon, eggs, yogurt, milk, cheese) is energy for you (glucose, glucose, glucose).
There you have it: nature’s perfect food. My favourite way to enjoy it in the morning? Blended with water; super hydrating, full of vitamins, filling, refreshing, easy to make, delicious, and energizing.
– Eat AVEC LUI – KL