Vegan Guide To Toronto, Part 2: Eating With Omnivores
Being vegan puts me in the minority among my friends and family. While most of them are fantastic about letting me drag them to a vegan restaurant every time, sometimes you need to compromise. Luckily for us in Toronto, there are tons of places that cater to both herb and omnivores. While almost any restaurant will have a few vegan options (even if they are unaware of them) these restaurants will have a some sort of key, or separate section or even a special menu to distinguish vegan items. Here are the best five restaurants in the 6ix for vegans and meat-eaters to eat happily together.
Personal Favourties: Vegetarian red miso ramen and spicy vegetarian red miso ramen.
- they have a small section in the menu for veggie ramen
- only place in the city I know of that takes as much pride in their veggie ramen as their ‘normal’ ramen
- make sure you specify vegan noodles, otherwise you will be getting the egg noodles 🙁
- open from 11:30am – 10:00pm most days
Personal Favourites: Deep fried pickles and veggie triple decker sandwich
- they use a key to distinguish their vegan/veggie/gluten free items (vegan items are red)
- almost all of their sauces are vegan, including gravy and garlic aioli. Score!
- brunch seven days a week
- open until 11:00pm everyday
Personal Favourites: Panang curry and khao soi.
- they have a special vegan menu, just ask the hostess, but make sure you specify with your waitress
- you get to choose your spicy-ness, I always go with medium (it’s still pretty spicy)
- it’s very popular so be warned that you will probably have to wait and they don’t take reservations
- they open for lunch six days a week (not sundays) 11:30-2:30 and dinner seven days a week 5:00-10:00
Personal Favourites: Vegan butter chicken burrito and hail seitan sandwich.
- tons of vegan options but not separated from the rest of the menu so just be careful while reading
- FYI: they don’t split bills and only accept cash
- kitchen is open until 2 am so even us vegans can get our grease food fix after a night of drinking
Personal Favourites: Veggie chicken burrito and veggie burger
- Not the most super vegan friendly – cheese or mayo is on almost everything so make sure you specify with your waitress
- on the plus side they very good about modifying items to make them vegan (ask for gauc instead of cheese or mayo)
- small – not good for big groups
- open 11:30 am to midnight most nights