Watermelons are back in season. This is awesome for two reasons.
- It means it’s summer.
- Watermelon juice in the morning.
Seriously nothing better than waking up and crushing a cold glass of sweet, blended watermelon. It’s super refreshing, hydrating and detoxifying. A great way to start your day. Here is one of my favourite ways to serve it: as a virgin watermelon mojito.
A normal mojito has white rum, cane sugar, mint and soda. To keep this healthy AF, I leave the sugar and rum.
What you need:
- a cup of cut up watermelon (best if you freeze it for 30 minutes first)
- the juice and zest of one lime
- a handful of mint leafs
- sparkling water (optional)
What to do:
- blend watermelon, lime juice and zest
- pour into a cup
- smack your mint leafs (to release the oils) and add them to your juice
- top with sparkling water (if you are so inclined)
- drink and enjoy
This is healthy and awesome just the way it is. BUT it would also make an awesome cocktail with a couple of extra steps:
- strain watermelon, lime, zest mixture after it’s been blended
- add the juice to a cocktail shaker filled with ice and 50 ml of rum
- shake and strain into a glass with crushed ice and mint leafs (don’t forget to smack) then top with sparkling water
And that’s it. You’re welcome.